Wednesday 28 February 2018

First Day at Norton Conyers, 19th February 2018

First Day at Norton Conyers, 19th February 2018


As I set out on a damp February morning to Norton Conyers, I entered the world of gardening as a novice. Togged up and booted - with new secateurs and gardening gloves, I met Head Gardener, Giles Gilbey in the car park and strode through to the walled gardens followed by Shandy and Plum - his ‘perennial’ companions!

Of the jobs I expected to be doing today, I didn’t envisage helping to push a car to be one of them; it proved to be my very first task. A gentleman who had been looking after the Graham’s house the previous night - the Graham’s were away in London - had his car stuck in the mud on a slope outside the garden walls. Giles and I pushed as the Volvo struggled up the muddy slope. Then further help arrived in the form of two ladies who I would later know as colleagues, Alison and Beth. A ‘physical’ start, I thought - little did I know the scale of the exertion today’s work would consist of!

Heading over to the Orangery, we were all intrigued as to what Giles’ plan for the day  would involve. We might have been digging trenches for planting - but this wasn’t advisable because of the wetness of the soil. Instead, another kind of trench was to be dug - 50 metres worth in fact - to install a tap near the vegetable garden. Giles explained that this would save valuable time wasted in carrying water. So, belongings deposited, the proper day’s gardening began in earnest; tools were gathered and preparations made, and the digging began. 

Cold and wet it may have been, but a sweat was soon built up. Layers of history revealed themselves as the work progressed- the gravelly layer gave way to sandy earth; clay; the cobbles of a footpath of days gone by. Many hands make light work they say - well this certainly wasn’t light work, but I was quite amazed at the progress that was made by just the five of us. By 10.30, only the final 10 feet needed digging. 10.30 also indicated break time - and I was ready for it.  


A good cup of Yorkshire Tea and some much needed sustenance  later, we were back to it with renewed energy, and the trench was soon finished off. Giles had headed to Ripon for the piping. On his return, and with the ‘assistance’ of Plum, the pipe was connected to the well, and with some gentle manoeuvring, it was laid. Guttering was laid over the pipe in the flowerbed to protect it against a stray spade. The earth was returned to the trench, and turf laid back in its place; a job well done.  

Over lunch, resident artist David Stead joined us with his MacBook and we were shown images of the garden in full bloom. David and Giles spoke about historical finds in the stables - old tools and a group of diaries found detailing the work done in the gardens - dating from the 1920s. It’s fascinating to think that layers of history are still being uncovered here - much like the earth in the trenches.

As the ladies went to prune the fruit bushes, Giles and I headed to the apple store to gather our tools; we were to install huge wooden poles to support the new raspberry plants. If I was hoping for an easier afternoon, this was soon to be denied! Giles and I used a Garden Line to ensure the poles were put in the right place, and then a metal pole to start off the hole in which the pole would be inserted. 

We used a Fencing Thumper - a very heavy piece of equipment to be raised over the pole and dropped down, ‘thumping’ the pole into the earth. With 14 poles to insert, this was to be a considerable task.
During this work, Giles explained the sheer variety of plants in the gardens; in the fruit gardens alone were many varieties I had not yet encountered  - Lingon berries, Logan berries and White berries.

Almost at the moment the last of the poles were placed, Sir James Graham appeared, and greeted me instantly by my first name. We shook hands, and I jokingly apologised for mine being yellow - the colour from my leather gardening gloves had rubbed off. We spoke briefly about today’s work and my previous career. I passed comment that I would be aching in the morning! I expressed my admiration for his work and the restoration of his house.

Clearing up was the final task of the day - the surprising quantity of cuttings from the bushes needed gathering and relocating. Giles explained that they rarely burned organic matter unless it was diseased, and that the cuttings would decay naturally in the woods, also encouraging insect habitation. On exiting the walled gardens for this purpose, we came to an area littered with Snowdrops. It was in this area that ‘stacks’ of cuttings were made, and left to naturally decay.

After this was done, Lady Halina arrived and greeted me in the gardens. Her passion for the gardens and outdoors shone through, as did her zest for life and good humour. We spoke about her trip to London, and use of the ‘Boris Bikes’ on her visit; also about delayed train services! 

I left the gardens - ready to clean up and rest, but already looking forward already to Thursday, where a new challenge would await. The achievements of the day stayed with me - a sense of real satisfaction at a day’s hard graft, and tangible, meaningful progress - the fruits of our labour would be permanent and lasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment