Saturday 24 March 2018

Clearing Up - Norton Conyers, 15th March 2018


Another damp day; Spring wasn’t here yet. But the gardener is well prepared - waterproofs and boots were adorned today. We looked a colourful bunch as we left the Orangery this morning and headed to the Dumper shed. And to be honest it was a bit of a dump! It had been left relatively unused at the end of last season, so there was reason for the mess. There's no problem things being left a little untidy, as there are always keener priorities to attend to. So, bearing in mind the poor weather, this was the perfect day for such a job. 

It was a job that required thought as to where to start. There was much to tackle, but with a team of five, progress was soon seen. Giles and I moved wood and logs; the ladies started moving tree protectors to an adjoining building; Plum found a dead pigeon.




There were many tree protectors - maybe a hundred. As I joined the efforts to move them, I uncovered a beautiful Peacock butterfly in hibernation. Its colours were a reminder that nature only sleeps - it does not disappear.



The Dumper shed was full of old unused gardening bits and pieces. Giles is a very resourceful man; he won't throw anything away that might come in useful. However, he's not a hoarder either - everything he does is carefully considered and planned. For example, underneath is a barrel - formerly containing Mango Slices (best before 2000!) from Mumbai in India. It's something that's of value to the gardener - however often it might come into use.

As I cleared some wooden poles from a corner and relocated them, I discovered perhaps fifty ladybirds huddling together - like the butterfly, they had found the perfect, protected spot to spend the winter months. And we had found the perfect spot to spend a rainy day - the work was fulfilling and everyone was in a jovial mood; as we'd entered the Dumper Shed, Giles asked me to switch the light on. There wasn't a light. I'm getting used to this gentle ribbing.



As the ladies finished their clearing work, I stayed and swept the straw covered floor. After Plum found the pigeon, I wondered what else might be discovered amongst this mass of dried grass. I was reminded of an old episode of Midsomer Murders where the victim is stabbed by a pitchfork and covered up in the straw. Thankfully there would be no such discoveries today..

 Following our break, we headed to the stables. Having burned the majority of the rubbish the previous week, the cleanup job now began in earnest. Sweeping the walls and windows of cobwebs; old plaster and paint dust from shelves and window bottoms; the floor from oily dirt. This was a considerable undertaking. The stables had been left in a time-warp - used only as a joiners yard in recent days. It had been built in the 1700s and must have fallen out of use as a stables some 70 or 80 years previously.

I know this because there were old packets on the floor - an old decaying Osram bulb jacket; metal springs; an old car headlamp cover; small wooden signs; a woodwormed groomer's brush. The bench was still solid enough to stand on to do my work, but had seen considerable wear and tear over the years. Built to last. Having lifted it, I uncovered a small plank of wood. It was attached to the stone floor with tar. I lifted it - the perfect shiny black uncovered the still fresh scent of pitch.

Our indoor clearing work was over. We retired to lunch.



As we returned, Giles began cutting back the trees which hung over the road leading up to the stables. Luminous lichen layered long limbs. We dragged the branches over the front of the house; I felt the strain, as an Ox would bearing its Yoke.




Giles, Alyson and I then left the borders of the walls and began cutting back the branches overhanging the Wath road. The Norton Conyers estate covers an area of 1500 acres - another substantial job!

Giles used his extended saw on the branches; Alyson and I hauled the wood over the wall for Beth and Bex to drag to habitat piles. The trees were packed together to begin with; they soon spread out, and there was too much work for three people.



Giles handed me a luminous green jacket, and asked me to look out for traffic; he walked round the other side of the wall and began cutting back from the house side. Lorries and vans seldom made an appearance, but safety was paramount for all concerned.

We completed this work, and next it was back to clear up. However, I got a little sidetracked. The litter by the side of the road was shocking. It upset me that people would dispose of things in this manner. I later spoke to Lady Graham - she told me about how she had challenged a lady who had dropped a takeaway box on the London Underground "I think you've dropped something" she said. The reply verged on abuse - almost physical "I'm providing someone with a job!!". 

I picked up the vast quantities of litter: crisp packets; pair of shoes; glass bottles; a fire extinguisher(!). Lady Graham said that when Sir James and she passed by on their bicycles, they would pick up rubbish - they had only done this the other day. I am coming to realise that the Grahams and I share similar values.

It was a satisfying job I suppose, but one I hoped that I wouldn't have to repeat any time soon!

A satisfying day of clearing had ended - the estate had had a 'Spring Clean' and was sprucing up for its Easter visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment