Tuesday 27 March 2018

Supporting Norton Conyers!! 27th March 2018


























A glorious start. Today's weather brought out the very best in the gardens. It was milder too. Despite it starting off dry, the weather is fickle, so I had still come fully prepared for the worst. In the event, this wasn't needed, and I could soon take off a few layers.

It was the perfect day to bring the benches out of their winter rest - having treated them with linseed oil a fortnight ago. Alyson and I manoeuvred the benches out of the Bothy and lifted them to their appropriate places in the garden. Benches are awkward things to carry - your legs keep getting in the way, meaning you can only make small - but quick - steps. It must be quite comical to watch thinking about it.


Benches bring something unique to a garden. I can't quite place it but perhaps it is the human spirit - the reminder that others have been here before you and enjoyed this very same view.

The benches looked superb in situ and felt soft to the touch. But there wasn't time to sit around; one more bench lay ready to treat - once again, Alyson and I used rags to do so.

My next task was back in the vegetable garden, continuing the task I had started on Thursday. Bex had already used the strimmer to cut back the Manure grass. This made for easier work - upturning these plants, and returning them back in the earth.

Having used a spade the previous day - I thought a fork might be easier. It was. My progress on the patch was quick. Giles soon joined me to lend a hand - he dug with a spade. He said that although it's easier to turn over the earth with a fork, the spade delivers better results. Giles got me a spade from his van and we returned to work.



I had baked a cake for us hard-working gardeners - Jamie Oliver's Torta Di Nada - a blueberry and olive oil cake previously mentioned in my blog. It went down a treat - a moreish, moist and fruity recipe, which gave us all a boost of energy.



We returned to work, and Plum promptly arrived rather proudly with a dead rabbit. It hung limp and lifeless in her mouth as she chewed - its eyes misted and matt black. Giles was happy for her to eat it if she wanted, but wanted to get the tail for the purpose of pollinating first. However, Plum wouldn't give up her catch - she frolicked with it as her Dad made a vain attempt to catch her.



I finished off my stretch of Manure grass, and Giles asked if I wanted a change. My back was starting to feel the strain, so I was glad to be offered this.

I joined Alyson in building and restoring pea supports. Some of the current supports had come loose in the earth - others were broken or no longer fit for purpose. These arched supports are a thing of beauty in themselves when finished - offering  shape and structure to the garden in the absence of plant growth and also shape to the growth when it comes. The knife on my multi-purpose tool came in handy for this task. However, I nicked my finger on it as I cut the twine - there are bloodstains on the branches to prove it!



We retired to lunch. I had saved half of the cake for Sir and Lady Graham, so walked to the house to deliver it. The daffodils had opened up, and looked glorious in the backdrop of the Spring sun and sky.

I finished off my supports, before joining Alyson again on the main border. A support was needed to straddle two neighbouring Heliopsis plants. The support would need to be tall and strong. The earth was tough, and I plunged the branches in vain. Alyson suggested I use a fork to break up the earth. This was just one of the many useful tips and hints she proffered throughout the day; like Giles, Alyson is also a fountain of gardening knowledge, and believes in doing things properly.



At this point, Giles arrived and asked me for my help. I followed him to the area outside the Dumper shed where a huge van stood, bearing the moniker East Riding Horticulture. This was our compost delivery; clearing out the shed the previous week had been very useful, giving up a clean, empty space in which to store it.
The bags were heavy - 75 litres - and there were lots of them - 40 to be precise! Fertiliser, gravel and plastic sheeting completed the delivery.



I returned to finish off the supports - it took a lot longer than I was expecting, but I was pleased with the result.


Resident artist David Stead had hosted a group of ladies for an art class today, and was showing them the gardens. They commented on the beauty of the supports we had created - it was pleasing to have this appreciation.




During all this time, Alan, Bex and Beth had been busy in the vegetable garden - starting to build raised beds. Haven't seen the results yet, but as I'm on holiday now for the next week, it's likely things will have changed quite dramatically again by next Thursday!

As I tidied up, Giles and David ventured into the gardens, and I was called upon for assistance. David had acquired a huge tree stump - Cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani). It needed lifting upright. Giles used his mini tractor to lift it up; David used a metal stake in the ground to prevent it from toppling; I looked on - ensuring the stump wasn't in danger of slipping. The stump was now upright, but not stable. We tied it to the concrete slabs in the yard using blue rope.





I ended my day - again tired but strangely refreshed. I looked forward to the fresh challenges I would face the following week.




No comments:

Post a Comment